Thursday, June 27, 2013

Different kind of weekend

We, here in the Warren Casa, like our weekends long and leisurely. But that is all about to change my friends. Brandon and I are being sent on a marriage retreat this weekend! As much as the Army seems to hate for us to be together, and consistently makes sure that I go days without quality time with my husband, they want our marriage to be strong. Go figure. 
So the Army is whisking us away for a romantic weekend of, well, I'm not sure exactly. I know that it has to do with the 5 love languages, maybe some team building exercise of some sort, who knows. I am excited because a) free hotel stay, baby! and b) as much as I cherish the marriage that we have, I know that it can always be stronger. 
I'm slightly apprehensive about it though. I'm not quite the social butterfly I was in my youth, and frankly, being in a room full of strangers for three days is not my idea of a fun time. I'm also on edge about Addie. I love my little buggy, and being away from her physically pains me. She's sleeping in the room next to me right now and I already miss her. And she doesn't do so well away from me either. Other kids tend to pull on her luscious locks, take her toys, and be meanie-poop-heads. Her stranger anxiety is through the roof, so I guess we will see how it goes. But other couples who have been to these retreats before swear that the child care is amazing, and I can stop by and see her any time I want. And it's only a few hours each day.
Silas will be easy peasy because I get to keep him with me. He is little enough that they can't take him away, so I have a slight bit of comfort there. Plus the whole breastfeeding thing makes it hard for us to be separated. 

Most people are dying to get a tiny break from their kids. You'd be crazy not to. In the throws of a stage-5-clinger-toddler-temper-tantrum, mixed with a hungry screaming infant( maybe a stage 4 clinger on his part), and some out of control dogs, I also may think I need a break. But who am I kidding? These kids are my life force, the very essence of my existence. I don't even remember functioning as a human being before them. It's almost as if my life began the day I had Addie. And having itty bitty Silas has only intensified those feelings. 
Some people claim that they don't want "mom" to be their identity, or that motherhood isn't what defines them. Heck, most of my life I swore I'd never have kids, and if I did, I'd be rich and totally have my nanny raise them. But I'm not rich, and I'm 125% sure that my mother would have killed me. And I'm also a very different person. Motherhood does define me, being a mom is who I am. I'm aware that my mom is probably reading this and laughing, and telling Breezi "I knew she'd feel that way." It's true. I love being a mom with every fiber of my being. It's what I was made for. Sure, someday I'll work again, and pursue my love of photography, but now, when people ask me what my dream is, I already live it. I feel no shame whatsoever when my answer to the question "What do you do for a living?" is "I'm a mom." Although a more fitting description would be " I created 2 tiny humans, who are adorable beyond all reason, and who are more awesome in their little selves than you will ever hope to be." Somehow I don't think that answer would go over so well. 
But I digress.....
I'm excited for this weekend, I really am. I love my husband so so much, and I am genuinely looking forward to spending this weekend getting to know him better, and building on our already incredible bond. And we have definitely earned a little getaway. Our itinerary has a slot labeled "date night" and it has been far too long since we have had one of those. 

3 comments:

  1. Haha that's exactly what she says!
    I hope you guys have fun on your retreat! No one better mess with my Bug's luscious locks! >:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's exactly what she says!
    I hope you guys have fun on your retreat! No one better mess with my Bug's luscious locks! >:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, have a great weekend!!! :D

    ReplyDelete